Current:Home > MarketsGOP setback in DEI battle: Judge refuses to block grant program for Black women -Streamline Finance
GOP setback in DEI battle: Judge refuses to block grant program for Black women
NovaQuant View
Date:2025-04-07 05:52:16
A federal judge ruled Tuesday that an Atlanta venture capital firm can continue handing out grants to Black women entrepreneurs, saying a lawsuit claiming the program unlawfully excludes other races was unlikely to prevail.
The ruling dealt a setback to the American Alliance for Equal Rights, a nonprofit founded by anti-affirmative action activist Edward Blum.
“We won round 1 in the fight against the anti-affirmative action activists,” the Rev. Al Sharpton posted on X, formerly Twitter.
Blum's group filed an appeal seven minutes after the judge's ruling, according to the court filing.
"The district court denied a preliminary injunction. Its oral denial rested on one ground: that Fearless’ contest is speech protected by the First Amendment," the American Alliance for Equal Rights said in the appeal. "That reasoning flies in the face of decades of precedent."
A small player in the venture capital industry, the Fearless Fund was founded by Black women to back Black women who received less than 1% of the $215 billion in venture capital funding last year. The firm has funded new companies like restaurant chain Slutty Vegan and beauty brand Live Tinted.
U.S. District Court Judge Thomas Thrash Jr., who was appointed by President Bill Clinton, said the Fearless Fund’s $20,000 grant program is a form of protected speech under the First Amendment.
Two dozen Fearless Fund supporters attended Tuesday’s hearing, including Sharpton and former Atlanta Mayor Kasim Reed, The Atlanta Journal-Constitution reported. After the hearing denying a preliminary injunction, they cheered Fearless Fund founders Arian Simone and Ayana Parsons and Sharpton held a rally at the courthouse.
"The reality is that Black women and women of color are significantly under resourced in advancing their business endeavors," Alphonso David, of counsel to the Fearless Fund and president and CEO of the Global Black Economic Forum, said in a statement. "There is no law that restricts grants from being issued to women of color or Black women, particularly in light of this disparity. We are pleased with this result."
The lawsuit against the Fearless Fund alleging “explicit racial exclusion” filed in August has become a cause celebre as the affirmative action wars shift to the workplace.
The Fearless Fund case is part of a growing pushback from conservative activists like Blum, who fresh off the landmark affirmative action victory over race-conscious college admissions, has set his sights on the private sector.
He has taken aim at efforts to close the racial gap in corporate America.
Though it does not apply to employers, conservative activists seized on the decision that struck down affirmative action in higher education, arguing it raises fundamental issues about how corporate America addresses workplace inequality. Since then, the nation has seen an uptick in legal challenges to DEI programs, and Republican state attorneys general have warned large employers like Microsoft and Walmart against race-conscious practices in hiring and contracting.
Corporations wrestling with the implications of that ruling are urging the Biden administration to weigh in.
Corporate diversity, equity and inclusion initiatives – DEI for short – were already under fire from GOP leaders like Florida Gov. and presidential hopeful Ron DeSantis. Republican criticism only intensified in the wake of the Supreme Court ruling in June.
veryGood! (9169)
Related
- 'Malcolm in the Middle’ to return with new episodes featuring Frankie Muniz
- Jonathan Majors breaks silence on Robert Downey Jr. replacing him as next 'Avengers' villain
- After Gershkovich and Whelan freed, this American teacher remains in Russian custody
- Browns RB D'Onta Foreman sent to hospital by helicopter after training camp hit
- Israel lets Palestinians go back to northern Gaza for first time in over a year as cease
- There are so few doctors in Maui County that even medical workers struggle to get care
- Carrie Underwood will return to ‘American Idol’ as its newest judge
- No. 1 Iga Swiatek falls to Qinwen Zheng at the Olympics. Queen has shot at gold
- Person accused of accosting Rep. Nancy Mace at Capitol pleads not guilty to assault charge
- 26 people taken to hospital after ammonia leak at commercial building in Northern Virginia
Ranking
- 'We're reborn!' Gazans express joy at returning home to north
- PHOTO COLLECTION: At a home for India’s unwanted elders, faces of pain and resilience
- Prize money for track & field Olympic gold medalists is 'right thing to do'
- Who is Paul Whelan? What to know about Michigan man freed from Russia
- What to watch: O Jolie night
- Who will host 'Pop Culture Jeopardy!' spinoff? The answer is...
- JoJo Siwa Details Her Exact Timeline for Welcoming Her 3 Babies
- Georgia dismisses Rara Thomas after receiver's second domestic violence arrest in two years
Recommendation
What to know about Tuesday’s US House primaries to replace Matt Gaetz and Mike Waltz
The number of Americans filing for jobless claims hits highest level in a year
14 sex buyers arrested, 10 victims recovered in human trafficking sting at Comic-Con
Honolulu Police Department releases body camera footage in only a fraction of deadly encounters
Buckingham Palace staff under investigation for 'bar brawl'
US rowers Michelle Sechser, Molly Reckford get one more chance at Olympic glory
Former Michigan State football coach Mel Tucker sues university over his firing
Georgia coach Kirby Smart announces dismissal of wide receiver Rara Thomas following arrest